Dr. Brijesh Sukumaran
Assistant Professor, Biological Sciences
B.Sc., M.Sc., PGDCR, Ph.D.
Areas of Specialisation
Dr. Brijesh has been working with School of Science from June 2011. Previously, he has worked at the Foundation for Medical Research (FMR), Mumbai, as a Post-Doctoral Fellow. His responsibilities were to format initiatives and design processes towards down-streaming the potential of the guava leaf extract as an anti-diarrhoeal into a standardized product.
Areas of Research
Currently, Dr. Brijesh is involved with the research projects in the following areas:
1. Evaluation of medicinal plants for anti-rheumatic, anti-depressant and anxiolytic activities.
2. Evaluation of novel nano-structured non-ionic surfactant based vesicles (niosomes) as potential drug delivery systems for combination therapy
Current Academic and non-Academic Activities
- Teaching Biochemistry, Bioanalytical Chemistry, Biostatistics, Cell Biology, Immunology, Microbiology, and Pharmacology to Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. and Ph.D. students of Biological Sciences
- Guiding research work of four Ph. D. students.
- Editorial Assistant to the Biomedical Research Journal (BRJ).
- In-charge of the Students’ Disciplinary Committee, Quality Cell, Sport committee, Social Media and Website of the School of Science.
Membership / Fellowship of Professional Societies
Life member of Mumbai Immunology Group
Life member of Indian Science Congress Association
- Mishra R, Pandit K, Bhagwat AM, Brijesh S. Antihyperlipidemic activity of alcoholic extracts of Trichosanthes anguina in Triton WR 1339 induced hyperlipidemic rats. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2014. 5(10): 4269-4274.
- Birdi TJ, Brijesh S, Daswani PG. Bactericidal effect of selected antidiarrhoeal medicinal plants on intracellular heat-stable enterotoxin-producing Escherichia coli. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014. 76(3): 229-235.
- Pandit K, Mishra R, Brijesh S, Bhagwat A, Bhatt P. Lipid lowering activity of Feronia limonia leaf in Triton WR-1339 (Tyloxapol) induced hyperlipidemic rats. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014. 6(8): 156-158.
- Brijesh S, Tetali P, Antia N, Birdi T. 2011. Study on effect of anti-diarrhoeal medicinal plants on enteropathogenic Escherichia coli induced interleukin-8 secretion by intestinal epithelial cells. Alternative Medicine Studies. 1:e16: 64-69
- Daswani PG, Brijesh S, Tetali P, Birdi TJ. 2011. Studies on the activity of Cyperus rotundus Linn. tubers against infectious diarrhea. Indian Journal Pharmacology. 43(3): 340-344
- Birdi T, Daswani P, Brijesh S, Tatali P, Antia N, Natu A. 2010. Newer insights into the mechanism of action of Psidium guajava L. leaves in infectious diarrhoea. BiomedCentral Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 10:33
- Daswani PG, Brijesh S, Tetali P, Antia NH, Birdi TJ. 2010. Studies on Antidiarrhoeal Activity of Zingiber officinale (Rosc.). Current Science. 98 (2): 222-229
- Brijesh S, Daswani P, Tetali P, Antia N, Birdi T. 2009. Studies on the antidiarrhoeal activity of Aegle marmelos unripe fruit: Validating its traditional usage. BiomedCentral Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 9:47
- Brijesh S, Daswani PG, Tetali P, Rojatkar SR, Antia NH, Birdi TJ. 2006. Studies on Pongamia pinnata (L.) Pierre leaves: Understanding the mechanism(s) of action in infectious diarrhea. Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE B. 7: 665-674.
- Brijesh S, Daswani PG, Tetali P, Antia NH. Birdi TJ. 2006. Studies on Dalbergia sissoo (Roxb.) leaves: Possible mechanism(s) of action in infectious diarrhoea. Indian Journal of Pharmacology. 38: 120-124
In Worshop/Conference Proceedings
- Birdi TJ, Brijesh S, Daswani PG. 2006. Approaches towards the preclinical testing and standardization of medicinal plants. Report of the South Asian Regional Conference on “Traditional Medicine and Right to Health for All” held at Bangalore. 13th – 15th December 2006. p. 103-119.
- Brijesh S, Daswani PG, Birdi TJ. 2006. Approaches to standardization of medicinal plant preparations. Proceedings of the workshop entitled “Approaches towards Evaluation of Medicinal Plants prior tp Clinical Trials.” Organized at YASHADA, Pune on 8th November 2006. p. 101-114.
- Daswani PG, Brijesh S, Birdi TJ. 2006. Preclinical testing of Medicinal plants: advantages and approaches. Proceedings of the workshop entitled “Approaches towards Evaluation of Medicinal Plants prior tp Clinical Trials.” Organized at YASHADA, Pune on 8th November 2006. p. 61-76.
Conference / Seminars / Workshop Attended
- "Bio-medical communication skills impact on services, education and research"
Medical Research Centre-Kasturba Health Society & Nanavati Superspeciality Hospital. 27th – 28th September 2014
- "Introduction to Systems and Synthetic Biology for Scientists and Engineers"
Department of Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, Mumbai. 30th April – 3rd May 2012.
- “Conference on Infectious Diseases: Novel Strategies for Design and Development of Drugs and Vaccines.”
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai. 5th – 8th January 2010.
(Poster: “Antidiarrhoeal activity of Psidiumguajava: Novel mechanisms of action.”
- 34th Annual Conference of the Indian Immunology Society.
National AIDS Research Institue, Pune. 16th – 18th December 2007.
(Poster: “Effect of selected antidiarrhoeal plants on intestinal immunity.”).
- Update Ayurveda’06
T. N. Medical College and B. Y. L. Nair Charitable Hospital, Mumbai. 22nd – 24th November 2006.
- Workshop on “Ayurvedic Medicines & Practices.”
PERD Centre, Ahmedabad. 13th& 14th November 2006.
- 2nd World Ayurveda Congress and Expo 2006.
University of Pune, Pune. 10th – 12th November 2006
(Poster: “Approaches for developing an appropriate anti-diarrhoeal herbal package for utilization by the community.”)
- Workshop on “Approaches towards Evaluation of Medicinal Plants prior to Clinical Trials.”
YashwantraoChavan Academy of Development Administration (YASHADA), Pune. 8th November 2006.
(Speaker: “Approaches to standardization of medicinal plant preparations.”)
- Carbo XX (20th Carbohydrate Conference)
Lucknow University, Lucknow. 24th – 26th November 2005.
- 31st Annual Conference of Indian Immunology Society.
Centre for Biotechnology, Anna University, Chennai. 15th – 18th December 2004.
(Poster: “Studies on antidiarrhoeal effects of dried rhizome powder of ginger.”)
- National Seminar on Food, Medicine, IK and IPR.
Pankajakasthuri Ayurveda Medical College, Thiruvananthapuran. 12th and 13th March 2004.
- Indian Science Congress.
University of Pune, Pune. 3rd – 7th January 2000
Official Email Id