School of Science organized a four-day “Cell Culture Workshop” primarily for students that provides hands on training in cell culture and molecular biology techniques from 3rd to 6th November 2014. The objective of this programme was to provide practical hands on training on basic cell culture techniques and was intended for beginners to teach them and train them in cell culture and few molecular techniques.
The workshop began with an invited talk by Dr. Nishigandha Naik, Assistant Director Haffkine Institute, Mumbai, who is an eminent Cell Biologist, entitled “Mammalian Cell Culture Technology – Old is Gold”. The four-day course constituted theoretical classes, demonstration and hands on training. The contents of the workshop were as follows:
- Introduction to Cell and Tissue Culture: Principles and Applications – by Dr. Brijesh S., Assistant Professor
- Real Time PCR and its Applications – by Ms. Wendy D’souza, Research Scholar
- Techniques to Detect Apoptosis – by Dr. Purvi Bhatt, Assistant Professor
Demonstration/Hands on training:
- Cell culturing techniques
- Maintenance and subculturing of cells
- Preservation and cell revival
- Cytotoxicity assays (MTT and neutral red assay)
- Cell death Assays: based on morphology (Acridine orange/Ethidium bromide staining) and based on Molecular Techniques (Western Blot, DNA laddering)
- Real time PCR
Resource Persons: Mr. Sagar Chhabria, Ms. Shreelekha Dutta, Ms. Shruti Taparia, Mr. Vaibhav Jadhav, and Ms. Wendy D’souza, Research Scholars.
The workshop was intended for Bachelors (final year students)/Masters/ Doctoral students in the field of Life Science, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Zoology, Botany, Medical Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences and allied fields.
There was an over-whelming response for the workshop from Maharashtra and Gujarat; however the participation was restricted to thirteen. The participants represented institutes/colleges including IIT Bombay, Bombay College of Pharmacy, C. U. Shah College of Pharmacy, Enterovirus Research Centre, Vivekanand College, MVLU College, ARIBAS (New Vallabh Nagar, Gujarat), and MALMO University, Sweden, to name a few.
We express our sincere thanks to our Management, Chancellor and Vice Chancellor for their continued support. We look forward to such educational activities and appreciate support from all faculty members at SVKM and NMIMS University.