master of physiotherapy
The NMIMS (Deemed to be University) has introduced Master of Physiotherapy program in July 2012. The salient feature of these programmes is the emphasis being laid on gaining advance understanding, knowledge and exclusive skills in the specialized area. The course will enable students with in-depth clinical reasoning, update them with recent advances in professional practice and enhance their ability to carry out a comprehensive, logical, safe, subjective and physical examination. The course will provide the students with opportunities to work as a consultant, expert clinician in any tertiary set up and as a teaching faculty in physiotherapy colleges in India and abroad.
The course is a 2 years full time program.
A total of 20 seats are available for the Master of Physiotherapy Program.
Board Of Studies
- Dr. Aparna Khanna, Chairman, Dean, School of Science, NMIMS, Mumbai
- Dr. Ali Irani, President, Indian Association of Physiotherapists
- Dr. Amita Mehta, Professor and Head, Physiotherapy School and Centre, Seth G S Medical College, Parel, Mumbai
- Dr. Hutoxi Writer, Professor and Head, Physiotherapy School and Centre, Topiwala National Medical College, Mumbai Central, Mumbai
- Dr. Maria Jainandani, Associate Professor, KEM Hospital
- Dr. Snehal Deshpande, Consulting Physiotherapist at Dr. L. H.Hiranandani Hospital.
- Dr. Sangeeta Vasudeva, Honorary Asst. & Physiotherapist, Nanavati Hospital, Vile Parle, Mumbai
- Dr. Manasi Mehta, Physiotherapist, Nanavati Hospital, Vile Parle, Mumbai
- Extensive course work in line with the requirements of Industry, thus adding value to the degree.
- Focuses on gaining advance understanding, knowledge and exclusive skills in the specialized area.
- Enables in depth clinical reasoning, update students with recent advances in professional practice and ability to carry out a comprehensive, logical, safe, subjective and physical examination.
- Provides opportunities to work as a consultant, expert clinician in any tertiary set up and as a teaching faculty in physiotherapy colleges in India and Abroad.
- In built opportunity to improve soft skills as well as scientific writing
- Grading system at par with international standards
- A system of continuous evaluation through seminars, quizzes and practicals
- Guest faculty drawn from a pool of experts from Industry
- Innovative teaching methods involving continuous interaction amongst faculty and students
- Modern facilities to provide ambience and support for curricular and extra-curricular activities for the overall development of students.
- Dedicated, qualified faculty to ensure high standard of teaching, learning and evaluation processes.
- Periodic review and revision of curricula based on feedback from the industry with quick response to ensure the relevance of the programmes to the changing needs of industry.
- Trimester system with proper planning to utilize the resources effectively and efficiently.
The course lays emphasis on the overall development of the student with focus gaining advance understanding, knowledge and exclusive skills in the specialized area. The course work comprises of lectures and practicals in the first year and subsequently fine tuning these skills in a particular area of specialization.
The course is reviewed regularly in consultation with our Board of Studies, which comprises of experts from academia, research institutions and industry from all over India. Thus, the course is tailor made to fulfill the requirements needed to keep pace with the current developments in scientific research.
While the student will have ample opportunity to acquire hands-on training on modern, sophisticated instruments/equipment wherever necessary, he/she will also be able to benefit from the expertise of one or more supervisors, wherever needed.
In the first year, along with the permanent faculties, the regular lectures are also conducted by visiting faculties who are experts in their respective fields. Apart from the course work, the Faculty also conducts Guest lectures by eminent academicians and scientists to ensure learner centric environment.
In addition, methods like quiz, discussions, tutorials, industry visits etc. are also used by the faculty to benefit the students.
For the Master in Physiotherapy program, a candidate must have
- Passed the full time Bachelor’s Degree (10 + 2 + 4 years + 6 months of internship) in Physiotherapy from institutions recognized by the Indian Association of Physiotherapy (IAP) with minimum 50% marks.
- Done Internship program of 6 months from a college or University recognized by IAP
- Membership of IAP.
- Candidates undergoing the internship may also apply provided their internship is completed before the commencement of the course.
- Candidates who are appearing for final year examination are not eligible to apply.
- Those candidates who have cleared their graduation by doing a part-time course or through distance learning, correspondence courses, externally, open school are NOT ELIGIBLE to apply.
- Those candidates who have passed from a University where Grade Point Average is given, such candidates must produce in writing from the University concerned about the equivalent percentage for the GPA/CGPA obtained.
Admission Criteria Process
Students who satisfy the requirements of the two stage selection process will be considered for admission to the integrated courses.
- Stage 1 - All eligible candidates will be required to appear for a Written Test to be conducted at the NMIMS campus in Mumbai. The venue will be announced sufficiently in advance of the test date.
- Stage 2 - Based on the performance in the written test, candidates will be short listed and called for a personal interview at the NMIMS Campus, Mumbai.
Based on the performance in Stages 1 and 2, a composite merit list will be prepared as per criteria laid down by the University.
During the course work the students will be required to have a minimum attendance of 80% for lectures, practicals and seminars, separately. The students will be evaluated through trimester end exams and through continuous internal assessment.
Internal assessment will be on the basis of fortnightly tests based on Theory. Practical work will be evaluated each week during the course of the regular practicals. Seminars will be evaluated weekly. The grade will be awarded at the end of the year on the basis of Cumulative Grade Point Average.