5-Year Integrated M.Sc. in Biomedical Science
The NMIMS (Deemed to be University) is introducing the 5-Year Integrated M.Sc. in Biomedical Science program from the academic year 2016-17. This is a full-time program with curriculum designed to cater to the needs of the Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, Clinical Data Management, Molecular Diagnostics, and Biomedical Industries. The course will provide an understanding of the basic concepts with a holistic view to offer a broad, thorough and intellectually challenging approach in the areas of Science. The focus will be on training the students in both theory and applications of specialized areas. Apart from enhancing their language, communication and computer skills, the course will also aims for holistic development of their personality through training in soft skills and through social involvement.
BOARD OF STUDIES
- Dr. Aparna Khanna: Chairperson, Dean, NMIMS Sunandan Divatia School of Science.
- Dr. Dhananjaya Saranath: Executive Director, Research Studies and Additional Projects, Cancer Patient Aid Association (CPAA).
- Dr. Urmi Palan: Associate Professor, Ramnarain Ruia College.
- Dr. Sasikumar Menon: Assistant Director at Therapeutic Drug Monitoring Laboratory
- Dr. Shailaja Deshmukh: Professor, Statistics at the Savitribai Phule Pune University.
- Dr. Sanjeev Galande: Professor, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER-Pune).
- Dr. Krutika Desai: Associate Professor, Mithibai College.
- Dr. Radhika Tendulkar: Assistant Professor, St. Xavier’s College.
- Dr. Jaya Vyas: Consultant, Cytogenetics and Molecular Biology Division, Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute.
- Dr. Purvi Bhatt: Associate Professor, NMIMS Sunandan Divatia School of Science.
- Dr. Ekta Khattar: Associate Professor, NMIMS Sunandan Divatia School of Science.
- Dr. Harinder Singh: Assistant Professor, NMIMS Sunandan Divatia School of Science.
- Dr. Sonal Manohar: Assistant Professor, NMIMS Sunandan Divatia School of Science.
- Dr. Brijesh S: Member Secretary, Assistant Professor, NMIMS Sunandan Divatia School of Science.
- Suited for students interested in Medical and Clinical aspects of biology
- Study in Life Sciences and subjects allied to medicine
- Interdisciplinary focus: Bioinformatics, Biostatistics and Biotechnology
- Foundation courses in Biomedical field: First three years (undergraduate)
- Electives with specialization in Biomedical Science: Fourth and fifth year (Postgraduate)
- Contemporary curriculum to meet the needs of the Industry (Biotech, Pharma, Clinical data management, Molecular diagnostics)
- Value added education
- Extensive lab based practical modules to facilitate contemporary research in Biomedical Science.
- Journal article presentations (current state of the art research papers).
- Industrial training: Two month (summer training) and six month (live research projects)
- State-of-the-art infrastructure: Cell culture lab, Real time PCR, HPLCs etc.
- Holistic development of students (analytical and cognitive skills) with overall personal development.
- Social Involvement Program (SIP) for inculcating leadership, community awareness, and social-sensitivity.
The course lays emphasis on the overall development of laboratory skills of a research student coupled with an expansion of his/her knowledge base through an interdisciplinary course work. The course work comprises of lectures and practicals along with skill building through soft skill training and social involvement programs.
The course is reviewed regularly in consultation with our Board of Studies, which comprises of experts from academia, research institutions and industry from all over India. Thus, the course is tailor made to fulfill the requirements needed to keep pace with the current developments in scientific research.
Along with the permanent faculties, the regular lectures are also conducted by visiting faculties who are experts in their respective fields. Apart from the course work, the Faculty also conducts Guest lectures by eminent academicians and scientists and paper presentations (Journal Club) to ensure learner centric environment. In addition, methods like quiz, discussions, tutorials, Industry visits etc. are also used by the faculty to benefit the students.
Candidates with minimum 60% aggregate marks at Higher Secondary School Certificate
(10+2) or equivalent examination from the Science stream with Biology as compulsory
The merit list will be based on the marks obtained in Biology in 10+2 or equivalent
examination. Additional weightage (5%) will be given to students having minimum 60%
marks in Chemistry.
NUMBER OF SEATS
Total number of seats is 25.
- Trained for career in basic or applied sciences/technology/data management
- Excellent opportunities in government and independent laboratories involved in medical research, public health, diagnostics etc.
- Careers in academia, R&D and Industry.
- Academia: Doctoral research
- R&D: Research fellow, Technical expert
- Industry: Quality control (Pharma, Biotech); Clinical data management (Bioinformatics); Molecular diagnostics: Applications expert (Referral labs, Hospitals labs).