5-Year Integrated M.Sc. in Biomedical Science
The NMIMS (Deemed to be University) is introducing the 5-Year Integrated M.Sc. in Biomedical Science program from the academic year 2016-17. This is a full-time program with curriculum designed to cater to the needs of the Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, Clinical Data Management, Molecular Diagnostics, and Biomedical Industries. The course will provide an understanding of the basic concepts with a holistic view to offer a broad, thorough and intellectually challenging approach in the areas of Science. The focus will be on training the students in both theory and applications of specialized areas. Apart from enhancing their language, communication and computer skills, the course will also aims for holistic development of their personality through training in soft skills and through social involvement.
BOARD OF STUDIES
- Dr. Aparna Khanna Chairman, Dean, SDSOS, Sunandan Divatia School of Science, NMIMS, Mumbai
- Dr. Dhananjaya Saranath, Executive Director- Research Studies and Special Projects, CPAA, Mumbai.
- Dr. Prashant Phale, Professor, Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering, IIT-Bombay, Powai, Mumbai
- Dr. Laxmikant Gharat, Vice President, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, Navi Mumbai
- Dr. Dhiraj Abhyankar, Head, Clinical Research & Development, Cipla, Mumbai
- Dr. Krutika Desai, Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology, Mithibai College, Vile Parle (W), Mumbai
- Dr. Papiya Deb, Assistant Professor, Department of Zoology, Mithibai College, Vile Parle (W), Mumbai
- Dr. Radhika Tendulkar, Assistant Professor, Department of Life Sciences, St. Xaviers College, Churchgate, Mumbai
- Dr. Purvi Bhatt, Assistant Professor, School of Science, NMIMS, Vile Parle (W), Mumbai
- Dr. Brijesh S., Member Secretary, Assistant Professor, School of Science, NMIMS, Vile Parle (W), Mumbai
- Suited for students interested in Medical and Clinical aspects of biology
- Study in Life Sciences and subjects allied to medicine
- Interdisciplinary focus: Bioinformatics, Biostatistics and Biotechnology
- Foundation courses in Biomedical field: First three years (undergraduate)
- Electives with specialization in Biomedical Science: Fourth and fifth year (Postgraduate)
- Contemporary curriculum to meet the needs of the Industry (Boitech, Pharma, Clinical data management, Molecular diagnostics)
- Value added education
- Exit option after Bachelors
- Extensive lab based practical modules to facilitate contemporary research in Biomedical Science.
- Journal article presentations (current state of the art research papers).
- Industrial training: Two month (summer training) and six month (live research projects)
- State-of-the-art infrastructure: Cell culture lab, Real time PCR, HPLCs etc.
- Holistic development of students (analytical and cognitive skills) with overall personal development.
- Social Involvement Program (SIP) for inculcating leadership, community awareness, and social-sensitivity.
The course lays emphasis on the overall development of laboratory skills of a research student coupled with an expansion of his/her knowledge base through an interdisciplinary course work. The course work comprises of lectures and practicals along with skill building through soft skill training and social involvement programs.
The course is reviewed regularly in consultation with our Board of Studies, which comprises of experts from academia, research institutions and industry from all over India. Thus, the course is tailor made to fulfill the requirements needed to keep pace with the current developments in scientific research.
Along with the permanent faculties, the regular lectures are also conducted by visiting faculties who are experts in their respective fields. Apart from the course work, the Faculty also conducts Guest lectures by eminent academicians and scientists and paper presentations (Journal Club) to ensure learner centric environment. In addition, methods like quiz, discussions, tutorials, Industry visits etc. are also used by the faculty to benefit the students.
Candidates with minimum 60% aggregate marks at Higher Secondary School Certificate (10+2) or equivalent examination from the Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as compulsory subjects.
The merit list will be based on the aggregate marks obtained in Physics, Chemistry and Biology in 10+2 or equivalent examination. Additional weightage (5%) will be given to students based on marks in Mathematics.
NUMBER OF SEATS
- This is a 5-year Integrated M.Sc. in Biomedical Science program with 25 seats.
- Exit facility is available after Semester VI for students who wish to leave the program with a B.Sc. in Biomedical Science Degree.
- Students completing the 5-year program will be awarded the B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in Biomedical Science.
- The program is more interactive with minimum memory based learning.
- There will be continuous assessment throughout the semester through tests, presentations and group activities and also based on the practical courses.
- The evaluation will be based on combined marks obtained in the term end examination and internal assessments with a weightage ratio of 60:40 as given below:
Term End Examination
A student must fulfil all three criteria to be declared successful in a subject in any semester:
1. Internal Continuous Assessment (ICA)
Minimum of one-third marks out of the total maximum marks allotted to the internal continuous assessment examinations for that subject.
2. Semester End Examination (SEE)/Semester Re-examination (SRE) (Theory Paper)
Minimum of one-third marks out of the total maximum marks allotted to the SEE/SRE for that subject.
3. Aggregate Passing
Minimum 50% of aggregate marks out of the total marks (i.e., ICA + SEE/SRE) allotted to that subject.
- Trained for career in basic or applied sciences/technology/data management
- Excellent opportunities in government and independent laboratories involved in medical research, public health, diagnostics etc.
- Careers in academia, R&D and Industry.
- Academia: Doctoral research
- R&D: Research fellow, Technical expert
- Industry: Quality control (Pharma, Biotech); Clinical data management (Bioinformatics); Molecular diagnostics: Applications expert (Referral labs, Hospitals labs).