The students of NMIMS – School of Science, Mumbai had their first Industrial visit to Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd., R&D Centre at Mahape, Navi Mumbai, organized by the School of Science Industrial Interface on 11th January, 2012.
Glenmark’s R&D centre is involved with research in broad therapeutic areas of inflammation, inflammatory pain and metabolic disorders. During the industrial visit, the students were initially given a brief introduction and overview of Glenmark’s R&D centre and the research activities. The students were then taken for the facility tour during which the following departments were covered:
1. Process Chemistry and Formulation Development Lab: This department basically deals with synthesis of complex and novel chemical structures with scale up capability to meet pre-IND requirements.
2. Analytical Research Lab: The lab is equipped with modern scientific equipment and is involved in validation of methods for testing the quality of developed products as per national/international standards and regulations.
3. In-vitro Biology Lab: This lab deals with all the in-vitro assays to test new drugs and determine their safety including microbial and mammalian cell cultures, molecular biology, radiometric and biochemical assays.
4. In-vivo Pharmacology Lab: This lab basically deals with testing new drug formulations in animal models like rats and mice.
5. Library: Glenmark has a state of the art Library, with access to global databases and scientific literature through physical and online subscriptions.