Dr. Dhananjaya Saranath
Professor, Sunandan Divatia School of Science
Ph.D. (Applied Biology), Cancer Research Institute, University of Mumbai
Areas of Specialisation
- Research articles published: 75
- Book Edited: 1 book on ‘Contemporary Issues in Oral Cancer’
- Lupin Visiting Fellow, 2004-05, Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Sandoz Oration Award of Indian Council of Medical Research, 1991
- Subject:”Oncogenes in tobacco-induced Oral Cancer – Implications and Perspectives in therapy in India”.
- Prof. Rudolf Fries Indo-German Award, 1991
- Second International Congress on Oral Cancer, Dec.1991, New Delhi ; Paper: “Oncogenes in tobacco-induced Oral Cancer”.
- Best Poster Award, 1991; International Symposium on Local Immune Reactivity in the Tumor ; Transplant Microenvironments, Sept.1991, Poznan, Poland. ; Poster: “Oncogenes in tobacco related human Oral Cancer”.
- Principal’s Award, Sophia College, University of Bombay, 1967, for standing First in Zoology, B.Sc. Degree.
Area of Research
Dr. Saranath has extensive experience in the field of molecular oncology, with pioneering work in understanding the molecular basis of human cancers using oral cancer as a model system. The past ten years of her career focused on clinical application of molecular biomarkers in cancer, infectious diseases, genetic diseases and life style diseases. Her familiarity with contemporary research using state-of-the-art technologies such as microarray systems, tissue array systems and genome wide single nucleotide polymorphisms, helped develop clinico-pathological diagnostic, prognostic, preventive and predictive molecular markers in cancer, facilitating development of a reference molecular diagnostic laboratory for high end molecular and genetic testing facilities, with about 300 individual tests for use by Physicians/Hospitals/Corporate clients and walk-in patients.
Current Academic Activities
- Senior Research Consultant, Foundation of Medical Research, Worli, Mumbai; April 2012 – to date
- Head, Research Studies, Cancer Patients Aid Association, Mumbai; April 2012 – to date
- President: Association of Molecular Pathologists, India, 2010 – to-date
- President: Indian Association of Cancer Research, 2000 – 2003
- Founder Member: International Academy of Oral Oncology, Councillor, 2005 – 2007
- Director: Head and Neck Cooperative Oncology Group, 2004 – 2007
- Indian Association of Cell Biologists, Executive Member 2003 – 2005
- Indian Association for Cancer Research
- Indian Immunology Society
- Society of Biological Chemists, India
- Endocrinology Society of India
- Action Council Against Tobacco, India, Executive Member 2001-2004